Blocked drains are a part of life, and we all experience them at one stage or another. When a drain becomes blocked or clogged, the problem can lead to water backing up, potentially causing severe flooding in your kitchen and bathroom areas. Furthermore, you’ll likely experience some pretty unpleasant odours spreading throughout your house as well.
Fixing a blocked drain doesn’t need to be a lengthy, drawn out process, and contrary to popular belief you do NOT need to use expensive lye-based drain cleaners. Whilst these products are certainly very powerful and will get the job done, they are also toxic to the health of humans and local eco systems, and they can cause extensive damage to your pipes over time. The good news is there is a fast, easy and natural way to clear your drains, and you can make this drain cleaner solution at home with a few basic ingredients.
Skip that old bottle of caustic drain cleaner hidden away in the cupboard and discover a new, eco-friendly way to clear your drains. In a matter of minutes you’ll have the ideal drain cleaning solution ready to go, and you’ll save yourself a tonne of cash in the process.
To make this DIY natural drain cleaner, you will need…
- 2 Cups of Baking Soda
- 4 Cups of Boiling Water
- 1 Cup of White Vinegar
Recipe for Green Drain Cleaning Solution- Vinegar and Baking Soda Drain Cleaner
- Empty the water inside your sink or tub, then pour approximately 1 cup of baking soda directly into the drain. Ensure that the baking soda evenly covers the drain.
- Boil 2 cups of water and pour this directly into the drain. When the boiling water comes into contact with the baking soda, a chemical reaction will occur. This will assist in dissolving sludge and particle build up within the pipes.
- Pour another cup of baking soda into the drain. Follow this up with 1 cup of white vinegar, and insert the plug as soon as the last drop goes in. If you are attempting to unclog a double sink, make sure that both drains are plugged. Keep your eyes and ears peeled for a sizzling noise and bubbling action, this is exactly what you want to see!
- Once the bubbling starts to slow down, pour all remaining boiling water into the drain.
- You’re done! Feel free to repeat the process again if you would like to be extra sure of a great result. Keep in mind that this treatment is also helpful for preventing future clogs – just pour a cup of baking soda followed by boiling water into the drain every now and then to reduce the likelihood of drain clogging.
Drain still clogged? Plunger to the rescue!
This natural drain unblocker treatment is normally very effective and will show immediate results, but in some cases a little extra effort may be required. The baking soda and vinegar will cause the slime and gunge to break up and loosen, and the pressure applied by a plunger may be enough to free the blockage.
Simply fill your sink with water (enough to cover the plunger head) and maintain a tight seal. Then push the plunger down, before pulling up again. Do this a few times and it should resolve the blockage, and you’ll be back to enjoying a free-flowing sink or tub.
The Process Explained – Why Natural Homemade Drain Cleaner is so effective
The reason why this DIY drain cleaner works so well is all due to some simple chemistry. Baking soda is a base, whilst vinegar is an acid. When combined, an acid-base reaction occurs, forming carbon dioxide and sodium acetate. You may remember creating your own volcano in science class, and the resulting eruption is due to the exact same reaction.
This blocked drains home remedy works wonders on your drains because it provides a thorough cleansing due to the scrubby bubbles which coat the entire drain. Rather than erupting out of the drain, the solution is carried through the drainage system and clears out all the fat, oil, grease and grime along the way. The first round of baking soda and hot water will loosen everything up, whilst the vinegar will provide the final push and explosive action to clear up any remnants before being washed away by a final boiling water rinse.
This DIY drain cleaner is entirely natural and will not damage your drain pipes. Every time you use the sink, the ingredients will be carried further into the drain system – thus reducing your risk of another blockage. Unlike toxic lye (sodium hydroxide) used in commercial drain cleaning products, baking soda and white vinegar are readily available pantry staples, and they pose no health dangers. Lye can cause serious skin burns, as well as excruciating chest and abdominal pain if it is swallowed. In some cases, this may even result in death – why risk it!?
Prevention is Key, Tips for Keeping Drains Clear
Ideally we would never experience blocked drains, but that’s easier said than done. Food particles, hair and grime all make their way into the drains as a result of our daily activity. If you want to minimise the risk of problems, you might like to consider the following tips:
- Install a sink strainer to catch all food particles for easy disposal before they reach the drain
- Add a piece of wire mesh to your shower to stop hair flowing into the drains
- Develop a habit of pouring a baking soda/white vinegar/boiling water mix down your drain on a monthly basis. This will help to loosen all deposits and prevent clogs.
Eco-Friendly Baking Soda and Vinegar Drain Cleaner – Fix Clogged Drains FAST!
Next time you experience a blockage, give the harsh chemicals a miss. Head to the pantry and grab the vinegar and baking soda instead, and in a matter of minutes you’ll be experiencing clean, clear drains. And the best part? You didn’t even need to spend a cent, and you can rest easy knowing that you did not harm the environment or put the health and safety of your family at risk. Cleaning drains has never been so easy!
Your family and friends are sure to appreciate this homemade drain cleaner tip too, so it would be great if you could pass on the knowledge by sharing this post. They’ll love you for it!